Friday, November 16, 2012

Open source alternative to MvxSock for API interactions with M3

I've recently come across an open source alternative to Infor's MvxSock library called MvxLib (http://mvxlib.sourceforge.net/).  I haven't had the time yet to look into this in detail but there are a few potential benefits I see from this:

  • Firstly it's a native .Net library, so no more wrapping the old style MvxSock dll whenever we need to use it in a .Net application;
  • Secondly it's open source, so with some work this could be used as the basis for building (for example) applications in Windows Mobile, Android or IOS;
  • Thirdly it's open source.  I know I already mentioned that one but it's worth reiterating.  There is an ecosystem of 3rd party consultants and software solutions that interact with M3.  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do so without being beholden to Infor for access to the underlying library that allows this?
For my next project I'm certainly going to look at this as an option.  And and when I do (or someone else does and lets me know about it) I'll post my conclusions on its suitability as a MvxSock replacement.

2 comments:

  1. I'm about to start using this too. I'm glad you posted it. I'll be attempting to create Items and manufacturing orders. It looks like not that many commands are there but they don't seem to difficult to construct. If I get good results I will most likely request to join this project and I suggest you do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    maybe somebody has successfully connected to M3 version 14.x API's? I got confused with the PWLOG, and could not get it working....

    thank you

    ReplyDelete